Sulfacetamide is an antibiotic that is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections, particularly those affecting the skin and eyes.
- Sulfacetamide is effective in treating bacterial infections of the skin, such as acne and rosacea
- It can also be used to treat eye infections, such as conjunctivitis (pink eye)
- It is available in various formulations, including topical creams, lotions, and eye drops
- Common side effects include: skin irritation, itching, and rash
- Long-term use can lead to an increased risk of skin pigmentation changes and sun sensitivity
- It can also cause allergic reactions, such as hives, itching, and difficulty breathing
- Other serious side effects include severe skin reactions, blood disorders, and liver damage
- It should not be used in people with sulfa allergies
It is important to note that everyone may respond differently to medication and it is always best to consult a doctor or pharmacist for more information. It is also important to use the medication as directed by the physician and never use expired medication.