Ertuget 5mg tablet contains the active ingredient ertugliflozin. Ertugliflozin is an oral medication classified as a sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitor. It is prescribed to manage blood sugar levels in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Ertuget 5mg tablet is used in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults. It is recommended as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control. Ertugliflozin works by inhibiting the SGLT2 protein in the kidneys, reducing the reabsorption of glucose, and increasing urinary excretion of glucose, leading to lower blood sugar levels.
Ertuget 5mg tablet, like other medications, may cause side effects in some individuals. Common side effects may include:
- Genital and Urinary Tract Infections: Some patients may experience an increased risk of genital yeast infections or urinary tract infections.
- Hypoglycemia: Ertugliflozin on its own is not known to cause hypoglycemia. However, when used in combination with other antidiabetic medications like insulin or sulfonylureas, the risk of low blood sugar levels may increase.
- Increased Urination: The increased excretion of glucose in the urine may lead to increased frequency of urination.
- Dehydration and Dizziness: In some cases, excessive loss of glucose through the urine may cause dehydration, leading to dizziness or lightheadedness.
When Not to Use:
- Type 1 Diabetes: Ertuget 5mg tablet is not indicated for the treatment of type 1 diabetes, as it is not effective in managing blood sugar levels in this condition.
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis: This medication should not be used in patients with diabetic ketoacidosis, a serious complication of diabetes characterized by high blood sugar levels and the presence of ketones in the blood or urine.
- Severe Kidney Impairment: Ertuget 5mg tablet should be used with caution or avoided in patients with severe kidney impairment, as it is excreted through the kidneys, and its safety and efficacy may be affected.
- Hypersensitivity: If you have a known allergy or hypersensitivity to ertugliflozin or any other component of Ertuget 5mg tablet, do not use this medication.
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: The safety of ertugliflozin during pregnancy and breastfeeding has not been well-established. Pregnant or breastfeeding individuals should consult a healthcare professional before using this medication.
Always use Ertuget 5mg tablet as prescribed by your healthcare provider and inform them of any pre-existing medical conditions or medications you are taking to avoid potential interactions or complications. Regular monitoring of blood sugar levels is essential to ensure effective diabetes management. If you experience any concerning side effects or changes in your health while taking this medication, contact your healthcare provider promptly.