Flagyl Syrup 120ml contains the active ingredient metronidazole. Metronidazole is an antibiotic and antiprotozoal medication that belongs to the nitroimidazole class. It is available in various formulations, including tablets, capsules, and syrups, to treat a range of bacterial and protozoal infections.
- Bacterial Infections: Flagyl Syrup is commonly used to treat bacterial infections caused by anaerobic bacteria. It is effective against various infections, such as infections of the gastrointestinal tract, reproductive organs, skin, and other body tissues.
- Protozoal Infections: Metronidazole is also effective in treating protozoal infections, including trichomoniasis, giardiasis, and amebiasis.
- Bacterial Vaginosis: In addition to systemic infections, Flagyl Syrup can be used to treat bacterial vaginosis, an overgrowth of certain bacteria in the vagina.
- Anaerobic Bacterial Prophylaxis: Flagyl Syrup may be used as prophylaxis (preventive treatment) in certain surgical procedures or situations where the risk of anaerobic bacterial infection is high.
Flagyl Syrup, like other medications, may cause side effects in some individuals. Common side effects may include:
- Nausea and Vomiting: Some people may experience mild gastrointestinal upset, leading to nausea and vomiting.
- Diarrhea: Diarrhea can occur as a side effect of taking metronidazole.
- Metallic Taste: A temporary metallic or bitter taste in the mouth is a common side effect of this medication.
- Dry Mouth: Metronidazole may cause dryness of the mouth in some individuals.
- Allergic Reactions: In rare cases, individuals may develop an allergic reaction to metronidazole, leading to symptoms like rash, itching, swelling, or difficulty breathing. Seek immediate medical attention if any allergic symptoms occur.
When Not to Use:
- Allergy to Metronidazole: If you have a known allergy or hypersensitivity to metronidazole or any other ingredient in Flagyl Syrup, do not use this medication.
- First Trimester of Pregnancy: Metronidazole should generally be avoided during the first trimester of pregnancy, unless the potential benefits outweigh the risks. It is important to consult a healthcare professional if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant.
- Breastfeeding: Metronidazole can pass into breast milk, and its use during breastfeeding should be discussed with a healthcare provider to assess potential risks and benefits.
- Central Nervous System Disorders: Flagyl Syrup should be used with caution in individuals with a history of central nervous system disorders or certain blood disorders.
- Alcohol Consumption: It is essential to avoid consuming alcohol while taking metronidazole and for at least 48 hours after the last dose, as it can cause severe nausea, vomiting, and other unpleasant reactions.
Always use Flagyl Syrup as prescribed by your healthcare provider, and inform them of any pre-existing medical conditions or medications you are taking to avoid potential interactions or complications. If you experience any concerning side effects, contact your healthcare provider promptly.