GLISTO 500MG TABLET contains the active ingredient glimepiride, which is an oral antidiabetic medication used to control blood sugar levels in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus. It belongs to the class of drugs known as sulfonylureas. Glimepiride works by stimulating the release of insulin from the pancreas and increasing the sensitivity of body tissues to insulin. This helps lower blood glucose levels and maintain them within the target range. GLISTO 500MG TABLET is typically taken orally with or without food, as directed by a healthcare professional, and is often used in combination with diet and exercise to manage diabetes.
GLISTO 500MG TABLET may cause certain side effects. While not all individuals will experience these side effects, it is important to be aware of them. Common side effects of GLISTO 500MG TABLET may include:
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar): This is the most common side effect of glimepiride. Symptoms may include sweating, trembling, dizziness, headache, blurred vision, weakness, and confusion. It is important to monitor blood sugar levels regularly and be aware of the signs of low blood sugar. Consuming a source of glucose, such as fruit juice or candy, can help alleviate symptoms.
- Weight gain: Glimepiride may cause weight gain in some individuals.
- Gastrointestinal disturbances: These can include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal discomfort.
- Allergic reactions: Although rare, glimepiride can cause allergic reactions such as skin rash, itching, and swelling. Seek medical attention if these symptoms occur.
When Not to Use:
There are certain circumstances when the use of GLISTO 500MG TABLET should be avoided. Here are some instances when it is contraindicated:
- Hypersensitivity: If you have a known hypersensitivity or allergy to glimepiride or any other sulfonylureas, its use should be avoided.
- Type 1 diabetes: GLISTO 500MG TABLET is not suitable for the treatment of type 1 diabetes, as it requires insulin replacement therapy.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis: This medication should not be used in individuals with diabetic ketoacidosis, a potentially life-threatening condition characterized by high blood sugar and ketone accumulation.
- Severe liver or kidney disease: GLISTO 500MG TABLET is contraindicated in individuals with severe liver or kidney impairment.
It is important to discuss your medical history, current medications, and any potential contraindications with a healthcare professional before starting GLISTO 500MG TABLET.
Note: This is a general description, and it is essential to consult a healthcare professional or refer to the medication’s package insert for complete and accurate information about GLISTO 500MG TABLET, including dosing instructions, precautions, and potential drug interactions.