Prevenar Infusions PFS is a PNEUMOCOCCAL VACCINE designed to provide protection against infections caused by the bacterium Streptococcus pneumoniae. It contains specific components of the bacteria that stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies. These antibodies help the body recognize and fight against Streptococcus pneumoniae, reducing the risk of severe illnesses.
Prevenar Infusions PFS is utilized for the following purposes:
1. Prevention of Pneumococcal Infections in Children:
- Prevenar Infusions PFS is administered to infants and young children to safeguard them against invasive pneumococcal diseases, including pneumonia, bacteremia (bacterial bloodstream infection), and meningitis.
2. Protection for Vulnerable Adults:
- In some cases, this vaccine may also be recommended for adults with specific health conditions or those at higher risk of pneumococcal infections. It can help reduce the likelihood of severe illnesses in this population.
When Not to Use:
Prevenar Infusions PFS should not be administered under the following circumstances:
1. Known Allergy:
- If you have a known severe allergic reaction to any component of the vaccine, it is essential not to use Prevenar Infusions PFS.
2. Acute Illness or Fever:
- If you are currently experiencing a moderate to severe illness or have a fever, vaccination may be postponed until you have fully recovered.
3. History of Severe Adverse Reactions:
- If you have a documented history of severe adverse reactions to previous pneumococcal vaccinations, consult your healthcare provider for alternative vaccination options.
It is crucial to discuss your medical history and any potential contraindications with a healthcare provider before receiving the Prevenar Infusions PFS vaccine.
Common side effects associated with Prevenar Infusions PFS may include:
1. Localized Reactions:
- Pain or swelling at the injection site is a common and usually mild reaction.
2. Mild Systemic Reactions:
- Some individuals may experience low-grade fever, mild irritability (particularly in children), or fatigue shortly after vaccination. These symptoms are typically short-lived.
Serious side effects are rare but can include severe allergic reactions. If you observe signs of a severe allergic reaction, such as hives, difficulty breathing, swelling of the face or throat, or a rapid heartbeat, seek immediate medical attention.
The benefits of vaccination in preventing severe pneumococcal diseases generally outweigh the risk of potential side effects. However, it’s crucial to discuss any concerns or questions about Prevenar Infusions PFS with your healthcare provider, who can provide personalized guidance based on your medical history and vaccination needs. Always read the vaccine information leaflet provided with the product for comprehensive information about its use and potential side effects.