Proscar 5mg Tablet contains the active ingredient Finasteride. It is formulated as an oral tablet and belongs to the class of medications known as 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors. Finasteride is primarily prescribed for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and male pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia).
Finasteride: Finasteride inhibits the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase, which converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a potent androgen involved in the development of BPH and male pattern baldness. By blocking DHT production, Finasteride helps shrink the prostate gland and stimulate hair regrowth.
Proscar 5mg Tablet is indicated for:
- Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH): Finasteride is used to reduce symptoms of BPH, including urinary frequency, urgency, weak stream, and difficulty urinating. It helps shrink the enlarged prostate gland and improve urinary flow.
- Male Pattern Hair Loss (Androgenetic Alopecia): Finasteride is also prescribed for the treatment of male pattern baldness, characterized by hair thinning and loss at the crown and frontal scalp areas. It promotes hair regrowth and prevents further hair loss.
Mechanism of Action:
Finasteride exerts its effects by inhibiting the enzyme 5-alpha-reductase, which is responsible for converting testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is implicated in the development of BPH and male pattern baldness. By blocking DHT production, Finasteride helps reduce prostate size and stimulate hair follicles to produce thicker, healthier hair.
Take Proscar 5mg Tablet orally, once daily, with or without food, as directed by a healthcare professional. The dosage may vary based on the indication being treated. For BPH, long-term treatment may be necessary to maintain symptom relief. For male pattern hair loss, it may take several months to see noticeable results.
Common side effects of Proscar 5mg Tablet may include:
- Decreased libido (sex drive)
- Erectile dysfunction
- Ejaculatory disorders
- Breast tenderness or enlargement
- Rash or itching
- Inform your healthcare provider about any pre-existing medical conditions, including liver disease or prostate cancer, before starting Finasteride therapy.
- Use caution when handling crushed or broken Proscar tablets, as Finasteride may be absorbed through the skin and pose risks, particularly to pregnant women or women of childbearing potential.
- Avoid donating blood while taking Finasteride and for at least one month after discontinuation, as the medication may be present in donated blood and could cause harm to pregnant women if transfused.
Proscar 5mg Tablet is contraindicated in individuals with a known hypersensitivity to Finasteride or any tablet components. It should not be used by women or children, as it is indicated for use in adult males only.