ABACUS 40MG/5ML SYRUP 50ML is an oral medication that contains the active ingredient Cefpodoxime. It belongs to the class of antibiotics known as cephalosporins and is used to treat various bacterial infections. The syrup formulation makes it convenient for use in pediatric patients and individuals who have difficulty swallowing tablets or capsules.
- Bacterial Infections: Abacus syrup is primarily prescribed for the treatment of various bacterial infections caused by susceptible microorganisms. It is effective against infections of the respiratory tract, urinary tract, skin, and soft tissues.
- Otitis Media: It is commonly used to treat otitis media, an infection of the middle ear, in both children and adults.
- Community-Acquired Pneumonia (CAP): Abacus syrup can be used in the treatment of mild to moderate community-acquired pneumonia.
Cefpodoxime is generally well-tolerated, but some individuals may experience side effects. Common side effects of Abacus 40mg/5ml syrup may include:
- Gastrointestinal Disturbances: This may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain.
- Allergic Reactions: In rare cases, individuals may experience allergic reactions such as rash, itching, or swelling.
- Headache: Some users may experience mild to moderate headaches.
- Dizziness: Abacus syrup can cause dizziness or a feeling of lightheadedness.
- Oral Thrush: Prolonged use of antibiotics may lead to oral thrush, a fungal infection in the mouth.
When Not to Use:
- Allergy: Abacus 40mg/5ml syrup should not be used in individuals with a known hypersensitivity or allergy to Cefpodoxime or any other cephalosporin antibiotics.
- Severe Allergic Reactions to Penicillin: It should be used with caution in patients with a history of severe allergic reactions to penicillin, as there may be a risk of cross-reactivity.
- Renal Impairment: Dosage adjustments may be necessary in patients with severe kidney (renal) impairment.
- Intestinal Inflammation (Colitis): Abacus syrup is contraindicated in individuals with a history of intestinal inflammation (colitis) associated with antibiotic use.
Important Note: It is essential to complete the full course of treatment as prescribed by the healthcare provider, even if the symptoms improve before completing the course. Stopping the medication prematurely can lead to antibiotic resistance and recurrent infections.
Always inform your doctor about any existing medical conditions or medications you may be taking before starting Abacus 40mg/5ml syrup to avoid potential interactions or contraindications. If you experience any severe or persistent side effects, inform your healthcare provider promptly.