- Type 2 Diabetes Management: Diajard M is primarily used to lower blood sugar levels in adults with type 2 diabetes. It works through two different mechanisms of action:
- Empagliflozin: It belongs to a class of drugs called SGLT2 inhibitors, which reduce the reabsorption of glucose in the kidneys, leading to increased glucose excretion in urine.
- Metformin: It is a biguanide that decreases glucose production in the liver and improves insulin sensitivity in muscle cells.
As with any medication, Diajard M may cause side effects. Common side effects may include:
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Stomach Upset
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Increased Thirst
- Increased Urination
These side effects are usually mild and temporary. However, if they persist or worsen, it’s essential to contact your healthcare provider.
When Not to Use:
Diajard M should not be used or used with caution under certain circumstances:
- Allergy: Do not use this medication if you are allergic to Empagliflozin, Metformin, or any of the tablet’s components.
- Type 1 Diabetes: Diajard M is not suitable for treating type 1 diabetes, which requires insulin therapy.
- Kidney Problems: If you have severe kidney impairment or are on dialysis, consult your healthcare provider before taking this medication, as it may not be suitable for you.
- Liver Disease: Individuals with severe liver disease should exercise caution when using this medication, as Metformin can affect liver function.
- Dehydration: Diajard M may increase the risk of dehydration. Avoid using it if you have conditions that can lead to significant fluid loss, such as severe vomiting or diarrhea.
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding: Consult your healthcare provider if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding, as the safety of Diajard M in these situations is not well established.
- Alcohol: Excessive alcohol consumption can interact with Metformin and may increase the risk of lactic acidosis. Limit alcohol intake while taking this medication.
It’s crucial to follow your healthcare provider’s recommendations and inform them of your medical history and any medications or supplements you are currently taking to ensure the safe and effective use of Diajard M. Never stop or change the dosage of this medication without consulting your healthcare provider first.