ASPRACIN 250MG TABLET is an antibiotic in the macrolide class. It is used to treat a wide range of bacterial infections by inhibiting the growth and multiplication of bacteria. Azithromycin is available in various forms, including tablets, capsules, oral suspension, and intravenous (IV) formulation.
Azithromycin is prescribed for the treatment of the following bacterial infections:
- Respiratory Tract Infections: It is used to treat infections of the upper respiratory tract, such as bronchitis, sinusitis, and pharyngitis.
- Pneumonia: Azithromycin is effective against community-acquired pneumonia caused by susceptible bacteria.
- Skin and Soft Tissue Infections: It can be used for skin and soft tissue infections, such as cellulitis and impetigo.
- Sexually Transmitted Infections: Azithromycin is often used to treat certain sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including chlamydia and gonorrhea.
- Ear Infections: It may be prescribed for certain types of ear infections, such as otitis media.
Azithromycin is generally well-tolerated, but like all antibiotics, it may cause some side effects. Common side effects may include:
- Gastrointestinal Upset: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain are possible side effects.
- Headache: Some individuals may experience mild headaches while taking Azithromycin.
- Allergic Reactions: Although rare, some individuals may experience allergic reactions to Azithromycin, characterized by rash, itching, swelling, or difficulty breathing. Seek immediate medical attention if any signs of an allergic reaction occur.
When Not to Use:
- Allergy to Azithromycin or Macrolide Antibiotics: Individuals with a known allergy to Azithromycin or other macrolide antibiotics should avoid using this medication.
- Liver or Kidney Disease: Azithromycin is metabolized in the liver and excreted through the kidneys. Individuals with severe liver or kidney impairment should use this medication with caution and under medical supervision.
- Certain Medications: Azithromycin may interact with other medications, so it’s essential to inform your healthcare provider about all the medications you are taking to avoid potential drug interactions.
Always follow your healthcare provider’s instructions for the correct dosage and duration of Azithromycin treatment. Do not use Azithromycin without proper medical advice, and complete the full course of treatment as prescribed, even if symptoms improve. If you experience any severe or persistent side effects, contact your healthcare provider for further evaluation.