DAPA MET XR 5/500 Tablets are a combination medication that contains two active ingredients: Dapagliflozin and Metformin HCL (Extended Release). Dapagliflozin is an SGLT2 inhibitor that helps lower blood sugar levels by promoting the excretion of glucose in the urine. Metformin is a biguanide that reduces the production of glucose in the liver and improves the body’s response to insulin. The combination of these two drugs helps to control blood sugar levels in individuals with type 2 diabetes.
DAPA MET XR 5/500 Tablets are prescribed for the following purposes:
- Type 2 Diabetes: It is used to manage and control blood sugar levels in individuals with type 2 diabetes mellitus. This combination medication helps improve glycemic control when diet and exercise alone are not sufficient.
DAPA MET XR 5/500 Tablets are generally well-tolerated, but like any medication, it may cause some side effects. Common side effects may include:
- Genital Infections: Some individuals, especially females, may experience genital yeast infections due to increased glucose in the urine.
- Urinary Tract Infections: Dapagliflozin can increase the risk of urinary tract infections (UTIs) in some people.
- Increased Urination: Increased urine production may occur due to the mechanism of action of Dapagliflozin.
- Gastrointestinal Upset: Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach discomfort may occur in some individuals, especially when starting the medication.
- Hypoglycemia: Low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) may occur, especially when combined with other diabetes medications like insulin or sulfonylureas.
When Not to Use:
- Type 1 Diabetes: DAPA MET XR 5/500 Tablets are not suitable for the treatment of type 1 diabetes, which is insulin-dependent diabetes.
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis: This medication should not be used in individuals with diabetic ketoacidosis, a severe complication of diabetes characterized by high blood sugar levels and the presence of ketones in the urine.
- Severe Kidney Impairment or Dialysis: DAPA MET XR should not be used in individuals with severe kidney impairment or those undergoing dialysis.
- Allergy to Dapagliflozin or Metformin: Individuals with a known allergy to Dapagliflozin, Metformin, or any components of DAPA MET XR 5/500 Tablets should avoid using this medication.
Always follow your healthcare provider’s instructions for the correct dosage and frequency of DAPA MET XR 5/500 Tablets. Regular monitoring of blood sugar levels and kidney function may be necessary during treatment. Inform your healthcare provider about any medical conditions you have or medications you are taking to ensure safe and effective use of this combination medication. If you experience any severe or persistent side effects, discontinue the use of DAPA MET XR 5/500 Tablets and consult your healthcare provider for further evaluation. DAPA MET XR is typically prescribed for short-term use and is not intended for long-term use without medical supervision.