Daplyza M 5+1000mg tablet is a combination medication that contains two active ingredients: Dapagliflozin and Metformin. It is used to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults. Dapagliflozin belongs to the class of drugs known as sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors, while Metformin is a biguanide antidiabetic medication. This combination is formulated to provide complementary effects in lowering blood sugar levels and improving glycemic control in individuals with type 2 diabetes.
Daplyza M 5+1000mg tablet is prescribed for the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus when lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise alone are not sufficient to control blood glucose levels. The two active ingredients work together to achieve better glycemic control through different mechanisms:
- Dapagliflozin: It works by inhibiting SGLT2 in the kidneys, which reduces glucose reabsorption and promotes the excretion of excess glucose through urine, thus lowering blood sugar levels.
- Metformin: It helps decrease the production of glucose in the liver and improves the body’s sensitivity to insulin, leading to better utilization of glucose by the cells.
As with any medication, Daplyza M 5+1000mg tablet may cause side effects in some individuals. It is essential to seek medical attention if any of the following side effects are experienced and become bothersome:
- Common Side Effects:
- Increased urination
- Urinary tract infections
- Genital yeast infections in both men and women
- Diarrhea or upset stomach
- Nasopharyngitis (common cold symptoms)
- Serious Side Effects (Rare – Seek Immediate Medical Attention):
- Signs of ketoacidosis (e.g., fruity breath, confusion, rapid breathing)
- Severe allergic reactions (rash, itching, swelling of the face/tongue/throat)
- Lactic acidosis (unusual muscle pain, difficulty breathing, stomach discomfort)
- Dehydration or excessive thirst
When Not To Use:
Daplyza M 5+1000mg tablet should not be used under the following circumstances:
- Type 1 Diabetes: This medication is not suitable for the treatment of type 1 diabetes, as it is not effective in such cases.
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis: If a person experiences diabetic ketoacidosis (a serious complication of diabetes characterized by high ketone levels in the blood), Daplyza M 5+1000mg tablet should not be used.
- Severe Kidney Impairment: Individuals with severe kidney impairment or kidney failure should avoid using this medication due to the risk of adverse effects.
- Severe Liver Disease: People with severe liver disease should not take Daplyza M 5+1000mg tablet, as it may worsen the condition.
- Allergy to Components: If a person is known to be allergic to Dapagliflozin, Metformin, or any other ingredient in the formulation, they should avoid using this medication.
Always follow the prescribed dosage and inform the healthcare professional about any existing medical conditions and medications being taken to ensure safe and effective use of Daplyza M 5+1000mg tablet. Regular monitoring of blood glucose levels and kidney function is essential while on this medication. If there are any concerns or questions about the use of this combination, seek medical advice promptly.