Daplyza M 5+850mg tablet is a combination medication containing two active ingredients: Dapagliflozin & Metformin. It is prescribed for the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults. Dapagliflozin is an SGLT2 inhibitor that helps lower blood sugar levels by promoting the excretion of glucose through urine. Metformin, on the other hand, is a biguanide that reduces glucose production in the liver and enhances insulin sensitivity, leading to improved glycemic control.
Daplyza M 5+850mg tablet is used to treat type 2 diabetes when lifestyle modifications, such as diet and exercise, alone are insufficient to control blood glucose levels. The combination of Dapagliflozin and Metformin offers complementary mechanisms of action, providing more effective management of diabetes:
- Dapagliflozin: It inhibits SGLT2 in the kidneys, reducing glucose reabsorption and increasing the excretion of excess glucose in the urine, leading to lower blood sugar levels.
- Metformin: It decreases hepatic glucose production and improves insulin sensitivity, resulting in better utilization of glucose by the body’s cells.
As with any medication, Daplyza M 5+850mg tablet may cause side effects in some individuals. It is essential to seek medical attention if any of the following side effects are experienced and become bothersome:
- Common Side Effects:
- Increased urination
- Urinary tract infections
- Genital yeast infections in both men and women
- Diarrhea or upset stomach
- Nasopharyngitis (common cold symptoms)
- Serious Side Effects (Rare – Seek Immediate Medical Attention):
- Signs of ketoacidosis (e.g., fruity breath, confusion, rapid breathing)
- Severe allergic reactions (rash, itching, swelling of the face/tongue/throat)
- Lactic acidosis (unusual muscle pain, difficulty breathing, stomach discomfort)
- Dehydration or excessive thirst
When Not To Use:
Daplyza M 5+850mg tablet should not be used under the following circumstances:
- Type 1 Diabetes: This medication is not suitable for the treatment of type 1 diabetes, as it is not effective in such cases.
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis: If a person experiences diabetic ketoacidosis (a serious complication of diabetes characterized by high ketone levels in the blood), Daplyza M 5+850mg tablet should not be used.
- Severe Kidney Impairment: Individuals with severe kidney impairment or kidney failure should avoid using this medication due to the risk of adverse effects.
- Severe Liver Disease: People with severe liver disease should not take Daplyza M 5+850mg tablet, as it may worsen the condition.
- Allergy to Components: If a person is known to be allergic to Dapagliflozin, Metformin, or any other ingredient in the formulation, they should avoid using this medication.
Always follow the prescribed dosage and inform the healthcare professional about any existing medical conditions and medications being taken to ensure safe and effective use of Daplyza M 5+850mg tablet. Regular monitoring of blood glucose levels and kidney function is essential while on this medication. If there are any concerns or questions about the use of this combination, seek medical advice promptly.