Empagli 10mg Tablet contains the active ingredient Empagliflozin. It is a medication belonging to the class of sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors. Empagliflozin is primarily prescribed for the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus to help control blood sugar levels.
Empagliflozin works by blocking the reabsorption of glucose in the kidneys, thereby increasing the amount of glucose excreted in the urine. This action leads to a decrease in blood glucose levels, promoting better glycemic control in individuals with type 2 diabetes.
Empagli 10mg Tablet is typically used as an adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adult patients with type 2 diabetes. It is often prescribed in combination with other antidiabetic medications or insulin therapy, depending on the individual’s needs.
Empagli 10mg Tablet may cause side effects in some individuals. Common side effects associated with Empagliflozin include:
- Genital yeast infections: Empagliflozin can increase the risk of developing genital yeast infections in both men and women. Symptoms may include itching, redness, discomfort, or discharge in the genital area.
- Urinary tract infections: The use of Empagliflozin may slightly increase the likelihood of urinary tract infections due to increased urinary glucose excretion.
- Hypoglycemia: Empagliflozin is not typically associated with hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) when used as a monotherapy. However, when combined with other antidiabetic medications or insulin, the risk of hypoglycemia may be increased.
- Increased urination and thirst: Empagliflozin increases urinary glucose excretion, which can lead to increased urination (polyuria) and thirst (polydipsia) in some individuals.
- Dehydration: Empagliflozin can increase urine output, potentially leading to dehydration if adequate fluid intake is not maintained. Signs of dehydration may include dry mouth, dizziness, fatigue, or decreased urine output.
It is important to note that not all individuals will experience these side effects, and the occurrence and severity may vary. If you experience persistent or severe side effects, it is advisable to consult your healthcare provider.
When Not to Use
There are certain situations when it is recommended to avoid using Empagli 10mg Tablet or any medication containing Empagliflozin. These include:
- Allergies: If you have a known allergy or hypersensitivity to Empagliflozin or any other ingredients in the medication, it is important to avoid using Empagli 10mg Tablet.
- Type 1 diabetes: Empagliflozin is not indicated for the treatment of type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. It should only be used in individuals with type 2 diabetes.
- Severe renal impairment: Empagli 10mg Tablet is not recommended in individuals with severe kidney impairment or end-stage renal disease. Dose adjustment or alternative treatment options may be necessary.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: The safety of Empagliflozin during pregnancy or breastfeeding has not been well established. It is important to consult with your healthcare provider for the appropriate use of Empagli 10mg Tablet during these periods.
Always consult with your healthcare provider or a qualified pharmacist before starting or stopping any medication. They can provide specific instructions, dosing guidelines, and address any questions or concerns you may have about the use of Empagli 10mg Tablet, taking into consideration your individual health profile.