NICOTRIM 120ML SYRUP is a medication containing the active ingredient co-trimoxazole. Co-trimoxazole is a combination of two antibiotics: trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole. It is available in syrup form and is commonly used to treat various bacterial infections.
Nicotrim Syrup is commonly used for the following purposes:
- Bacterial Infections: This medication is prescribed to treat a range of bacterial infections, including urinary tract infections, respiratory tract infections, middle ear infections, gastrointestinal infections, and certain types of skin infections. It works by inhibiting the growth and multiplication of bacteria, thereby helping to eliminate the infection.
Nicotrim Syrup may cause some side effects in certain individuals. The following side effects have been reported but may not be experienced by everyone:
- Gastrointestinal Disturbances: Common side effects include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal discomfort. It is advisable to take the syrup with food to minimize gastrointestinal upset.
- Skin Reactions: Some individuals may develop skin rashes or hypersensitivity reactions while taking co-trimoxazole. If you notice any skin changes or allergic symptoms, discontinue use and seek medical attention.
- Blood Disorders: In rare cases, co-trimoxazole may affect blood cell production, leading to conditions such as anemia, low platelet count, or low white blood cell count. Contact your healthcare provider if you experience any unusual bleeding, bruising, or signs of infection.
It is important to be aware of these potential side effects and consult your healthcare provider if you experience any concerning symptoms.
When Not to Use:
Nicotrim Syrup should not be used under certain circumstances, including:
- Hypersensitivity: If you have a known allergy or hypersensitivity to co-trimoxazole, trimethoprim, sulfamethoxazole, or any other ingredients present in the syrup, you should avoid using it.
- Severe Liver or Kidney Dysfunction: Individuals with severe liver or kidney impairment may require dosage adjustments or an alternative treatment option.
- Pregnant or Breastfeeding: The use of co-trimoxazole during pregnancy or while breastfeeding should be done under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
It is important to inform your healthcare provider about your complete medical history, including any pre-existing conditions or allergies, before starting this medication.
Please note that the information provided here is a general overview and should not replace professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist for specific guidance tailored to your individual needs.