Glytec Mxr 50/500mg Tablet is a combination medication containing two active ingredients: sitagliptin & metformin. Sitagliptin belongs to a class of drugs called dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitors, while metformin is a biguanide antidiabetic agent. This combination is used to control blood sugar levels in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Sitagliptin: Sitagliptin works by inhibiting the enzyme dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4), which leads to increased levels of incretin hormones. These hormones help to regulate blood sugar levels by stimulating the release of insulin and inhibiting the release of glucagon.
- Metformin: Metformin works primarily by decreasing glucose production in the liver and increasing insulin sensitivity in peripheral tissues, such as muscle and fat cells. It also improves glucose utilization by these tissues.
Glytec Mxr Tablet is prescribed for the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults. It helps to control blood sugar levels by:
- Stimulating insulin secretion
- Decreasing hepatic glucose production
- Increasing peripheral glucose uptake
Mechanism of Action:
The combination of sitagliptin and metformin works synergistically to improve glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Sitagliptin increases the levels of incretin hormones, which stimulate insulin secretion and inhibit glucagon release. Metformin decreases hepatic glucose production and enhances peripheral glucose utilization, resulting in improved blood sugar levels.
Glytec Mxr Tablet is usually taken orally with meals to reduce gastrointestinal side effects. The dosage and frequency of administration may vary depending on the patient’s condition and response to treatment. It is important to follow the dosage instructions provided by the healthcare provider.
Common side effects associated with Glytec Mxr Tablet may include:
- Abdominal discomfort
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), especially when used in combination with other antidiabetic medications
Before taking Glytec Mxr Tablet, patients should consider the following precautions:
- Inform healthcare providers about any known allergies to sitagliptin, metformin, or other medications.
- Monitor blood sugar levels regularly, especially during the initial stages of treatment or when changes are made to the dosage.
- Use caution in patients with kidney impairment, as metformin can accumulate and increase the risk of lactic acidosis.
- Avoid excessive alcohol consumption while taking Glytec Mxr Tablet, as it may potentiate the risk of lactic acidosis.